Take a beautiful photo. Slap on a cute filter. Write a catchy caption. Post it. Make moolah baby! Is that all it takes to be a successful social media influencer?
Influencer marketing is huge right now and has exploded over the last few years. Brands have realized that normal people with a social media following have a lot of influence on the purchases of their followers.
But is being an influencer worth the hype? Well, let’s talk about it!
What is an influencer?
A social media influencer or an online influencer is a person who creates content (ie. photos, written works, videos) on their social media channels (let’s use Instagram for this example) and have been hired by a brand to collaborate and create content to promote a product or service. Influencers also call themselves content creators.
Hold Up! What do you do exactly?
Have you bought a product off of Instagram because someone we follow posted about it? I’m guilty of it too. And brands realized this genius new marketing technique years ago. Hire everyday people who have some influence on social media and have them promote your product.
Can I be an influencer?
An influencer is anyone who influences another person. We all have some influence over another person, so yea we all can technically become influencers. If you like social media, enjoy taking photos or creating videos, have a passion for a certain topic, are honest, and have a positive personality then yes you certainly can be an influencer.
How do Influencers get paid?
- Monetary Compensation
- Service Exchange
- Product Exchange
How do I become an influencer
- Identify your interests and niches. An easy way to figure this out is what naturally do you like to talk about. For example, if you like plants, plants and nature would be your niche. If you like Disney, then your niche would be Disney lovers and lifestyle. If you like talking about motherhood and your kids, then you would be a mommy influence.
- You can take a course that will give you the tools on how to properly get started.
- Make a small investment in an influencer starter kit.
- Partner with your favorite brands promoting products you love and probably already use and get paid to do so.
- Use your creativity (writing, taking photos, creating videos) every day.
- Connect with people through social media.
- You get free stuff!
- Inspire others using your platform
- No salary cap! You are in charge of your rates and earning potential.
- Flexible work hours from anywhere.
- It is hard work. You have to pitch brands, negotiate your pay, take hundreds of photos and edit them, and promote all your creative works yourself. Unless you hire someone to help you.
- This could easily be a full-time job without the full-time pay at first.
- It takes time to build your brand and start getting paid what you want.
- You are exposing yourself and sometimes your family to strangers and trolls on social media.
Is being an influencer worth the hype?
That’s a personal opinion. If the positives outweigh the negatives then to you “it’s worth it”.
If you treat being an influencer like a business and not a hobby, then it’s hard work. On the newsfeed, you see beautiful pictures of people you follow and have grown to admire for whatever they do. Behind the scenes, these influencers (me included) wear many hats. We are our designers, photographers, copywriters, publicists, social media managers, and marketers just to name a few. Until you make enough to hire help, you are responsible for all these tasks. Check out my influencer starter kit.
Like any job, if you do not truly love it, it is going to feel like work. Influencers have to build an engaged social media following. It is also highly recommended to have a blog as well to work with brands on sponsored blog posts. Your blog is the home for your content and is a portfolio of your work. When you start thinking of your blog as a portfolio or resume, you will quickly understand how to take your blog and turn it into a moneymaker. Here are a few of my favorite blogging courses.
Also, (little tip) it isn’t smart to build your business solely on social media because if Facebook and Instagram were to get shut down today, it will shut down with all your followers and contacts. At least with a blog, you have ownership of your blog.
I value being able to make a living doing something I love. I also made it my mission to make money from home being my boss and helping other mothers do the same thing. Because of that personal mission, being an influencer is perfect for me.
Now that you have all the information, ask yourself, do you think you would be a good influencer? Comment below and let me know!