I received a free copy of The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Last month’s read was The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color and it was inspirational!
As a mother of two girls, I am very mindful and intentional about raising my daughters with a strong sense of self love and confidence.
The author Virgie Tovar is also very passionate about feminism and body positivity for young girls of color and she makes her points crystal clear throughout the book.
Virgie Tovar is an author, activist and one of the nation’s leading experts and lecturers on fat discrimination and body image.
She is the founder of Babecamp, a 4-week online course designed to help women who are ready to break up with diet culture.
In her new book, The Self-Love Revolution, she shares an eye opening perspective on where we (as in Americans) get our standards of beauty from and how it affects young girls of color.
For Your Brown Daughter:
The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color by Virgie Tovar, offers an unapologetic honest guide to help you question popular culture and cultivate a healthy body image.
The book does a great job speaking to younger women. Tovar uses language and vocabulary that will resonate with a younger audience, such as pre-teens or teenage girls.
I particularly loved the journal prompts throughout the book. These prompts encourage readers to think about what they just read, an experience in their life, and journal their thoughts and feelings.
As a mother, I think these prompts will help my daughters identify their feelings and learn self trust.
8 Body Positive Quotes
Today I will be sharing some of my favorite quotes from The Self-Love Revolution
- You are powerful beyond belief.
- Love that is conditional on how you look isn’t love at all.
- As a girl or young woman of color, you have extraordinary gifts.
- Your body thrives when it is not hungry and has had enough food.
- You have the right to set boundaries and communicate with your family around what you need to feel safe in your body.
- Self-love is about recognizing and accepting that you are precious and valuable unconditionally – and creating a life that honors that truth.
- Saying no is part of keeping your mind, body, and emotions safe.
- Healthy and thin are not the same thing.
Bonus: For a list of 40 things you can do to develop self-love, turn to page 99. It’s so good!
I love the feminist values of beauty and body justice in this book.
The Self-Love Revolution is an easy yet eye opening and self confirming read. It’s a book, that I cannot wait to read to my daughters in a few years.
What are some ways you teach your daughters body positivity? Or plan to?
Want a chance to win a copy of The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color?
Entry Options: Enter the giveaway via the widget below with the following options.
- Follow @VirgieTovar on Instagram
- Share this blog post on your Facebook profile and tag @VirgieTovar
- Share this blog post on your Twitter profile and tag @VirgieTovar
Notification: Winners will be randomly selected and notified by CLEVER by May 12.
Terms & Conditions: The official Terms & Conditions are included in the widget; here is the high-level eligibility criteria:
- Age 18+
- US residents only
- Only one winner per household